My photo
I'm a wife to an amazing man, mom to a tuxedo cat and I'm rapidly approaching 30. Now afternoon naps are replacing late nights out, brunches are replacing early morning breakfasts, and yoga pants are replacing tight jeans. This is my niche, a place to document our memories.

Spiced Cauliflower Poppers

When I decided to create a new blog, I wanted to come up with a name that had multiple meanings and that stood out.  To me "soup" is the comfort part of life, and "laundry" is the every day stuff.  But when I ran Soup and Laundry past my parents, my dad immediately said that if there's soup in the title, he'd expect to see recipes featured on my blog.  Well, this one's for you dad!

I'm pretty much addicted to Pinterest;  there are SO many amazing recipes, it's almost overwhelming.  I found a great recipe for Baked Cauliflower Poppers, and then saw a recipe for Spiced Sweet Potato Chips that looked good, so naturally I got to thinking.  I thought: self, what if I combined these two recipes and used the seasoning from the sweet potatoes chips to season the cauliflower poppers.  And so we have, Spiced Cauliflower Poppers.

pinterest, pin it, recipe, cauliflower, ketchup, snack, healthy, 0 points, free foods, weight watchers, jenny craig, healthy
Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon sweetener
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Steps:
1 - Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2 - Chop up the head of cauliflower into bit sized bits.
3 - Put the poppers into a bowl, and spray lightly with cooking spray.  Toss, then spray again, toss and spray one last time.
4 - Mix the spices together in a separate bowl, and sprinkle half onto the poppers.  Toss the cauliflower, then sprinkle with the other half of the spice mixture.
5 - Put the poppers on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and pop in the oven.
6 - Bake for a total of one hour.  Take the poppers out of the oven every fifteen minutes to rotate them, so each side gets crispy and yummy.  They don't get burnt, they just get tastier!
7 - Serve with a side of ketchup to dunk the poppers in, and enjoy.

pinterest, pin it, recipe, cauliflower, ketchup, snack, healthy, 0 points, free foods, weight watchers, jenny craig, healthy
pinterest, pin it, recipe, cauliflower, ketchup, snack, healthy, 0 points, free foods, weight watchers, jenny craig, healthy

Note - If you prefer crispier fries, like Justin does, I'd recommend chopping the cauliflower into smaller bits, and maybe cooking them for an additional 15 minutes.  And although these have flavour, they are not spicy, just really tasty, and very addictive!

I made these last night while Justin was home, but he went over to a friend's before they were finishing baking.  When they were done I sat down and had a couple, then a couple more, then soon enough the whole batch was in my belly.  I did feel bad that I didn't leave Justin any, but then didn't because they are just that good!  If you snooze you lose, right?

Let me know what you think of them, and expect to see more recipes popping up on this 'ol blog!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh I cannot wait to try this! They look delicious. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of cauliflower but I might try this for the hubs!

    ReplyDelete