My photo
I'm a wife to an amazing man, mom to a tuxedo cat and I'm rapidly approaching 30. Now afternoon naps are replacing late nights out, brunches are replacing early morning breakfasts, and yoga pants are replacing tight jeans. This is my niche, a place to document our memories.

Sirens Of Life

Last night, I was running a bit late to aquafit, but I managed to get changed and was sitting on the edge of the pool five minutes before class started.  I was sitting there, reluctant to get into the water, but I mustered the courage and lowered myself in.  Less than a minute later a whistle was blown, and the lifeguard was telling everyone to get out of the pool.  Everyone was in a state of confusion, but slowly made their way to the side of the pool.  The lifeguard became even more urgent this time, yelling loudly that everyone needed to hurry and grab their stuff because there was a fire.  Well, that put people in motion!  I hustled, changed out of my bathing suit bottoms, put on my yoga pants and threw my two sweaters and coat over my wet swim suit top.  Another lifeguard was now in the change room expressing her concern that we needed to hurry, and could change in the lobby if needed.  I left the change room, and waited anxiously in the lobby with a swarm of other aquafitters.  We were then told that there was a fire by the family change room, the fire department was coming to take care of the situation, and that we needed to leave the building, and get out to our vehicles.  Out I went to the snowy night, thankful that I had worn boots and a winter coat, and not my normal light jacket and flip-flops.  I waited until I saw the flashing lights in my rear view mirror, and then headed home.

The whole incident really got me thinking, no matter how we can plan our lives out, some emergency, or fire, can come and change the path we're heading in.  Specifically I was thinking in terms of exercise, eating healthy and meal planning, but this really applies to life in general.  Sometimes there is an event that comes up that is simply unavoidable, and we just need to come up with another plan, a Plan B.  Last night, I needed to be the firefighter and find a solution to my unexpected exercise dilemma.  Other times it could be needing a different meal option, because something unplanned took up too much time, or left you away from home.  As long as we make another healthy choice, or the best choice that is now available to us, this new plan will work.

In life, it's far better, and a lot less stressful, to realize that an alternative is available, rather than just going up in smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment